Thursday, February 16, 2012

Continues: Phonetics [Tongue twister]

What is tongue twister??

When most people think of tongue twister a childhood image comes to mind: Attempting to recite a tricky rhyme or phrase as fast as possible without tripping over the verbal challenges and hurdles lurking within these tongue-tying sentences, such as:
Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.
Did Peter Piper pick a peck of pickled peppers?
If Peter Piper Picked a peck of pickled peppers,
where's the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?








She sells seashells by the seashore. 


The shells she sells are surely seashells. 


So if she sells shells on the seashore, 


I'm sure she sells seashore shells.




Red lorry, yellow lorry.




Which wristwatches are Swiss wristwatches? 




How much wood would a woodchuck chuck


If a woodchuck could chuck wood? 


He would chuck, he would, as much as he could, 


And chuck as much as a woodchuck would 


If a woodchuck could chuck wood.


After learning how to pronounce the IPA symbol we are asked to recite tongue twister. Each group must recite at least 2 tongue twisters and it must be as fast as we could. At first when I get the tongue twister I thought I will be easy to say it, but when I try it myself it become the hardest thing in the world. My group had chosen this 2 tongue twister:

Fresh fried fish,

Fish fresh fried,

Fried fish fresh,

Fish fried fresh.

Rory the warrior and Roger the worrier were reared wrongly in a rural brewery.
 

Denise sees the fleece,
Denise sees the fleas,
At least Denise could sneeze,
and feed and freeze the fleas.


When I recite it slowly it becomes easy to say it properly but when the speed increases I just hear the beginning and end part only. When I see my friend recite it, somehow it becomes very funny. Learning using enjoyable method is more effective than just listen t what teacher said. This makes me think that when I start my career as a teacher I must use various ways and methods to teach student, not just using traditional method such ‘chalk and talk’. From this activity lot of thing that I have learned. I hope that this will help me in the future as an English teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment