Monday, February 6, 2012

Role Play : Sentence Functions



To be an actor is my childhood ambition but when getting older I think that is almost impossible and I had new ambition, to be a teacher. I remembered last time my teacher had told me that to be a teacher is the best because when you became a teacher you also will became actor, singer, doctor, gardener, accountant, and many more. Today I have an opportunity to be an actor although I think that my act will be awful.
This week we all had been given a chance to be a script writer and actor. We had been given a task to create a dialogue and dramatize it. The dialogue that we create must have at least 5 sentence functions. There a lot of sentence function that we use in daily life.  From this activity a lot of thing has been learned and gained. It also makes us practice to use suitable sentences function in daily life. Besides that, it also increases our self confidence to perform in front of our classmates. This will help when we start our practical in school after this mid semester holiday. To be a great teacher a lot of skills and activities we must know to gain the pupils attention. So, the teaching and learning process will not be such a boring moment for the pupils in school.
This is the script that my group had created:

Characters:
CEO               : Tuan Haji Hisyamuddin
Presenter      : Fadzillah
Worker 1       : Abdul Hadi
Worker 2       : Muhammad Azam

Adel
Encik Hadi, please inform all board directors, we have an urgent meeting 10 minutes from now.
Didie
Yes Encik Fadzillah. Excuse me, we have an urgent meeting 10 minutes from now. I hope everyone will come prepared for the meeting.

(The CEO enters the meeting room)

Adel, Azam & Didie
Good Morning Tuan Haji.
Esam
Good morning. Have a seat.
Azam
Tuan Haji, this is the file that you asked just now.
Esam
Thank you. (Take a look at the file given by Azam for a while). So, should we start our meeting Encik Fadzillah?
Adel
Yes, Tuan Haji. Good morning to all of you. We just received a call from our management office from Hawaii. We have got some problems regarding to our project there. Some of the workers are not satisfied with the payment. They wanted the salary to be increased up to 10%.
Azam
That’s a really high demand. 10% is not a small amount. We cannot satisfy everyone’s desire.
Didie
Yes, I agree. But, I think if we do not listen to their request, big problems might occur.
Azam
We cannot let this problem distract our project. This project is our biggest investment for this year.
Adel
Besides, we must take care of our reputation. This problem would affect our good reputation now.
Esam
Encik Fadzillah, what is their work performance?
Adel
Some of them are doing well in their work and some of them are not really committed.
Didie
Maybe we can increase the payment but decrease the number of the workers.
Azam
Yes, let us keep those who are really committed to their work.
Esam
This problem is very serious. So I would like you, Encik Hadi to prepare the suggestion on paper and I would like to have it by next Monday.
Didie
I will have that one done Tuan Haji!
Esam
As for you Encik Azam, I want you to check each department to analyse the number of workers needed to be employed. Remember, we will give some compensation to help them.
Azam
Yes, Tuan Haji. Anything else, Tuan Haji?
Esam
Exactly. I want both of you to go to Hawaii to inform the workers there about our planning and I want it to be done harmoniously.
Adel
Yes, Tuan Haji. We will do that as soon as possible.
Esam
Is there anything that you want to share? If not, the meeting will be adjourned. I will chew over this problem and consider all your suggestions. Thank you for your cooperation.




In this dialogue, there are many sentence functions such as:

To Inform
  • ·     Encik Hadi, please inform all board directors, we have an urgent meeting 10 minutes from now.
To Greet
  • ·         Good morning Tuan Haji.
To Thank
  • ·         Thank you
To Explain
  • ·         We just received a call from our management from Hawaii. We have got some…..
To Object
  • ·         That’s really a high demand. 10% is not a small amount. We cannot satisfy everyone’s desire.
To Ask for Information
  • ·         Encik Fadzillah, how was their achievement in their work?
  • ·         Anything else, Tuan Haji?
To Answer
  • ·         Some of them are doing well in their work and some….
To Suggest
  • ·         Maybe we can increase the payment but decrease the number of the workers.
To Agree
  • Yes, I agree.
  • Yes, let us keep those who are really committed in their work.
To Instruct
  • ·       So I would like you, Encik Hadi to prepare the suggestion on paper and I would like to have it by   next Monday.
  • ·    I want you to consider to each department to classify the number of workers to stay working
  • I want both of you to go to Hawaii to inform the workers there…

No comments:

Post a Comment